Thu 8th Feb: Day 15

Shirley was due to come for her home visit at 11am this morning, but since 5am there has been very heavy snow. Still, even if all the schools are closed, surely the main roads are open and they can get Shirley to and from the hospital.

A little after 9am the hospital rang - the will have to cancel the visit unless Shirley comes now. Of course, I said yes. Then panicked. I had ten minutes to make sure that the house was ready to welcome her. 2 hours work compacted into ten minutes. Rugs were taken up, floors hoovered, obstacles moved, toilets checked and cleaned, doors closed on the more impossible rooms ... and then, while I am still 'working towards' completing my tasks I hear the door go and Shirley's voice ... with two physios and an occupational therapist. I quickly shut doors on rooms that I did not want visitors.

The visit went very well. The dogs went crazy, fussing and barking round her. Shirley made us all a cup of tea or coffee, managed the stairs and negotiated the bathroom. She also opened all the doors I had closed to show them the rest of the house! The visit was pronounced a success - and Shirley went back to the hospital hoping to be discharged this afternoon.

Ben and Joe raced round the house when she had gone, then Ben stood in doorway, looking at the door, and cried, in that whimpery way dogs do. We'd never heard him make that noise before.

No comments: